Piercings are to be cleaned 2 times a day for 6-8 weeks with antibacterial spray (Band-Aid, H2ocean or Red Magic) or antibacterial soap (Dial, Dove, ect). Your piercing can’t be taken out or changed for 8-10 weeks at all. Don’t move it back and forth a lot, only move enough to make sure that it is not stuck in one spot. It’s normal to experience some swelling and some pus. Make sure you keep it clean thoroughly.If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call your piercing specialist.
Mouthwash (Antiseptic) 3/4 times a day, mainly after you smoke, drink, and everything you eat (some spicy will cause it to sting). No oral activity for 1 week. Don’t take it out to clean it at all. It’s normal experience swelling & soreness - keeping something cold on it will help. You can take it out to change it after 6-8 weeks.
You may be able to donate blood within the standard deferral period if you provide a copy of your Detroit Ink Spot records to your blood donor facility.
What to DO:
1. Leave the Saniderm or D-lize bandage on for no more than 12 hours. If tattoo pools excessively or leaks, remove bandage.
2. When removing the bandage, gently wash the tattoo with lukewarm water and antibacterial soap (Dial, Safeguard and Cetaphil). Use your hands to gently rub the tattoo removing traces of blood, plasma, or leaked ink.
3. Pat the tattoo dry with a light, soft towel. Let Allow the tattoo to breathe by leaving it uncovered for at least 20 minutes to an hour. REPEAT THIS STEP EACH TIME YOU CLEAN YOUR TATTOO.
4. Apply a non-scented, water-based anti-bacterial ointment. (Tattoo Goo, Aquaphor ointment, or raw Shea butter) Make sure to only apply a thin layer and gently rub it in until the skins has absorbed it.
REMEMBER TO APPLY OINTMENT EACH TIME YOU CLEANSE THE TATTOO. APPLY AT LEAST TWICE A DAY, FOR 3 TO 5 DAYS OR UNTIL THE TATTOO BEGINS TO PEEL. After it peels, switch to a fragrance-free lotion. (Lubriderm, Curel, Aveeno)
What NOT to DO:
1. Do NOT touch the tattoo with dirty hands and nails. This may cause it to become infected.
2. Don’t scratch or pick with your tattoo! When your tattoo begins to heal it will scab (THIS IS NORMAL) Let the scab dry and fall off on its own. If you pick the scab off it may cause discoloration or light spots in the tattoo by removing ink.
3. Avoid soaking the tattoo! Avoid swimming or soaking in a bathtub. Keep baths and showers short, under 5 to 6 minutes until the tattoo is fully healed.
4. Don’t expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight! The rays of the sun may cause discoloration and light spots in the tattoo. It is best to keep the tattoo covered for at least 3 to 4 weeks. (Recommendation: Protect your tattoo by wearing a minimum of SPF 30 sunscreen lotion. This will keep ensure the colors will last longer)
4. Avoid working out! Tattoos that cover a larger part of the skin or that are located near joints of the body will take longer to heal if the skin is forced to move around too much during intense workout. This will cause the skin to crack and become irritated, prolonging the healing process. For this reason, avoid intense workouts just for a few (3) days